The BillingTracker Multi-User Server is a gateway between BillingTracker Pro and your data. When you have more than one person using BillingTracker Pro, and accessing the same data file, the system needs to manage that access for two reasons:
1) So there won't be conflicts between users accessing the same data at the same time. There is a longer explanation of this at the bottom of this page.
2) To ensure that each user has the right permission level. You may not want to let all employees have the same ability to access and change information in your data file.
The Server has a third function as well - it automatically backs up your data throughout the day on a regular schedule that you set (e.g. every 30 minutes, once an hour...).
The BillingTracker Multi-User Server is only needed when you have more than one user of BillingTracker Pro on your network.
When you purchase BillingTracker Pro Multi-User, you will get an unlock code for both BillingTracker Pro and the Server. Purchase the number of seats according to the number of users in your network. For example, if you have 7 people who will use BillingTracker Pro, than purchase 7 seats of BillingTracker Pro Multi-User.
First install the Server on a central computer that everyone in your network has access to. The Server is found within the same download file as BillingTracker Pro. Simply double click on it and choose to install the Server only, following the step by step instructions. You will have to let it install the data file (billingtrackerpro3.mdb or billingtrackerpro4.mdb, depending on your version) in its default location, but you can change this immediately after set-up by simply closing the Server, moving the data file, and then re-launching. It will ask you for the new location of the data file. Both the Server and the data file, by the way, can be on any computer in your network - they can be on the same computer, different computers, and even the same computer as one of the BillingTracker Pro users.
Next, install a copy of BillingTracker Pro Multi-User on each user's computer. When you first launch BillingTracker Pro, it will ask you if you want to run in single-user or multi-user mode. Choose multi-user, and then use the next couple of screens to tell it where the Server is and where the data file is.
Download this PDF file for more complete installation instructions.
Setting Up The Server:
After you install the server software and tell it where the data file is, you need to add users. For each user, you simply define the name, a password, and give that user his/her permission level.
Permission levels are very straightforward:
* Timekeeper - User can only ENTER and CHANGE/EDIT his own hours and ENTER his own expenses. User CANNOT view most screens, and thus has no ability to see the firm's finances.
* Basic - User can ENTER his own work on his own projects only. Cannot work on other users' projects.
* Low - User can ENTER and CHANGE/EDIT his own work on his own projects only. Cannot work on other users' projects.
* Middle - User can ENTER, CHANGE/EDIT, and DELETE his own work on his own projects only. Cannot work on other users' projects.
* High - User can ENTER, CHANGE/EDIT, and DELETE his own work on his projects AND on other users' projects.
* All - User can ENTER, CHANGE/EDIT, and DELETE his own work AND the work of anyone else on any project.
Preventing Conflicts And Crashes:
A few words about conflicts when users try to access the same data at the same time: BillingTracker Pro uses the Microsoft Access database because this is the most common and standard database for Windows users. ALL users of Windows have the ability to use it. The only problem with Microsoft Access is that it is designed for a very small number of users. On its own, it can't handle the multiple requests and updates that can happen simultaneously when you have more than a couple of people using the system. That is why we designed the BillingTracker Multi-User Server: It acts as a traffic manager for all the data going into and out of the Access database so that, literally, there are no traffic jams and the system works smoothly.
With the BillingTracker Multi-User Server, your whole office can now enjoy BillingTracker Pro, share data, and rest assured that your data file is in the industry standard Access format.
A Final Note:
BillingTracker Pro will not work in multi-user mode without the BillingTracker Multi-User Server. When you start your computers each morning, simply turn on the Server first.
BillingTracker invoicing software - your billing has never been easier!